40 Days With God | In The Book of Colossians
Session 2: Supremacy of Christ
by Pastor Pauline
In this session, we are going to deal with some doctrinal issues. It is crucial who we think Jesus Christ is. WHAT IS HIS IDENTITY?
Martin Luther wrote this:
If anyone stand firm and right on this point, that Jesus Christ is true God and true man, who died and rose again for us, all the other articles of the Christian faith will fall in place for him and firmly sustain him.
Title: SUPREMACY OF CHRIST
5 truths of the supremacy of Christ.
- “Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.”
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
The scripture tells us that “In Christ the nature and being of God have been perfectly revealed.” (1 Tim 1:17; Heb 11:27)
Jesus, Himself said, “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.” (John 14:9)
- Christ is the head of the church
And he is the head of the body, the church; ...
With His Supremacy over the church, therefore, there must be …
- Submission to Christ
- Union with Christ
- Unity in the body
- Christ is the firstborn
“… he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.”
Jesus is also called “the beginning” in this verse, “the firstborn from the dead” pointing to His resurrection as the first of its kind, supreme over all other resurrections.
We know that He is “before all things”. This means the priority in time and given the absolute priority over all creation.
- Christis thefullness of God
For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him (Christ),
Also, in Colossians 2:9
“For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form.”
Jesus is God.
- Jesus’s claim to be one with the Father (Jn 10:30)
- The seven “I Am” sayings in the Gospel of John
- Jesus possess the attributes of God
- The resurrection – Many witnessed the resurrected Jesus and His ascension.
- Christ is the reconciling peace.
Colossians 1: 20-22
“… and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation…”
- Christ is qualified to reconcile all things to Himself because the fullness of God dwell in Him.
- Christ is able to reconcile all things to God because He has made peace through the blood of His cross.
HOW CAN IT AFFECT MY LIFE?
There are at least 3 importance in our life for us to know the truth of the supremacy of Christ.
- Weshall not be shaken by false teaching.
- We will give Christ the reverence and the glory.
- Wewill place Christ first in our life